[Jacob-list] Breeding question

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Thu Feb 19 13:09:27 EST 2009

They are probably referring to SUED (split upper eyelid deformity). It's related to the polycerate gene. In minor cases, it can be barely noticeable and cause no discomfort. You will find many of us breeding four horned to four horned and very few cases of SUED. It really isn't all that common. In fact, I can think of a number of breeding rams with SUED that have not passed the trait onto their offspring, even when bred to four horned ewes.

Linda

We just bought 6 more Jacobs on Monday. Only one has 4 horns (ewe). The seller told me not to breed a 4 horn ram to a 4 horn ewe or you take a chance of having a cranial birth defect of some sort. Can anyone confirm this for me? We have another ram and ewe that we are thinking about purchasing. The ram is a 4 horn and I have not seen the ewe yet. We also have someone interested in buying a pair from us, so we would like to know if we should sell the 4 horn ewe whose markings are not so good so that we can bring in the 4 horn ram?
Thanks All!
Chris - Chatham, VA

http://www.patchworkfibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep, Handspun Yarn