[Jacob-list] Breeding question

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Thu Feb 19 13:12:01 EST 2009

Some used to recommend that 4 horn rams should be interbred with 2 horn rams to fore-stall split upper eyelid deformity and produce more balanced horns.
This is ... uh ... misinformation.
If you want "correct" four-horn type, then breed for correct balance and set, and this is only a repeatable outcome if you use correct four-horn rams. Likewise, there is no difference in the rate of SUED in heterozygous polycerate versus homozygous polycerate sheep. We have used 4 horn rams almost exclusively for the last 20 years, and we have seen no increase in problems.

Neal Grose