[Jacob-list] generations...

Zach Oaster zach at zoproduction.com
Sat Dec 5 21:02:12 EST 2009

Actually, the ram I had considered was Unzicker Captain himself... who
by all accounts is a proven great ram... but C generation...

So I guess at this point we've heard from several people who advocate
for caring less about generations... Is there anyone out there who
would advocate strongly for moving generations forward? I mean, the
generational registration is there for a reason right? Hypothetically,
if one buys/breeds good sheep AND advances the generations of
registered sheep, isn't that good for the breed as a whole? If my goal
is to proliferate and advance the Jacob as a breed (since they are
"threatened"), wouldn't encouraging solid generational breeding be
good? ...or would it simply move the Jacob closer to a commercial
standardization (which most would label a bad thing, including me).

Could someone with a strong opinion toward positive generational
breeding give some insight as to how to maintain the uniqueness of the
breed at the same time as advancing generations?

Thanks everyone!

Zach Oaster
zach at fattoaster.com
Visit Zach's worship resource and blog site: http://www.fattoaster.com