[Jacob-list] downsizing

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sun Aug 23 19:27:40 EDT 2009

We're in a different situation here. Prices and demand for quality
breeding stock in the southeast has risen in the last few years. I think
the internet has alot to do with that. After a few years when even
finding hay was near impossible, hay is now fairly plentiful and we are
paying less for better hay. It has started to rain after five years of
drought, so my sheep get to eat grass sometimes. My yarn sales are
pretty good. And I'm getting younger (just joking..I'm aging as fast(er)
as everyone else - and I sure feel it on our hills). But, Dave is
semi-retired now, so I have more help now and feel younger at the end of
the day :-). We haven't had much luck in finding someone to come do the
little bit of clearing we'd hoped to do for more pasture, which has been
a setback. But it was a profitable year for me.
I'm curious about the economics of not breeding all the adult ewes. You
still have to feed them. Unless you are separating them from your bred
ewe flock, they are eating just as much and producing only a fleece to
sell. You won't be feeding the lambs, of course, and the fleece would
probably be a bit bigger.

Linda

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>