[Jacob-list] downsizing

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Sun Aug 23 16:04:18 EDT 2009

It sounds like the economic situation is taking its toll on us breeders. I have been bemoaning the fact that for the last 10 years or so, grain and hay prices have skyrocketed out of control, but the price of lambs, both as meat and as breeding stock, has pretty much stayed the same. (I guess I should be grateful, in a way, as up here, the prices of shetland sheep, which I also had as a cash crop, have gone from $5-800 apiece to $200 or max, $300 apiece. I got rid of the shetlands! I will have to downsize a little, and like Cathy, am aging, and thinking that each year I go down a bit in numbers. Hopefully, at some point, I will be able to switch to buying six lambs in the spring, keeping them on pasture until November, and then, shearing and butchering, after breeding and keeping them all year becomes too difficult. I do like having them here. I will breed this year, probably 12 ewes, but I might consider just breeding some of them...We shall see. I don't have to make that decision until Nov. 1.
Betty, in Vermont,who now has a blog, thanks to help from Walter and Linda. See Betty's blog at http://sheepwoman.wordpress.com.