[Jacob-list] Color Change

Eugene Phillips genejr100 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:12:50 EDT 2009

Hi Linda,

Your response came in after I posted my reply but wanted to thank you also. I try to keep the copper level down but my first lamb was born in the pasture the winter of 2007 and the temp was about 35 degrees with rain. It was not standing and had probably been born about an hour before I saw it. Carried it into the house and dryed and warmed it but it would not stand. It was given colostrum supplement and bottled fed with powdered sheep milk replacement from Tractor Supply. After several days of it not standing, we took it to a large animal vet and he said it appeared to be healthy in spite of its not standing. He gave it a selinium and vitamin injection which did not seem to help. To make a long story shorter, we feed it for a month and it still would not stand. The vet euthanized it at my request and I took it to the University of Kentucky animal lab for testing. They said the lamb had a copper deficiency. Go figure.

I think that it had brain damage due to the cold and wet birth but guess I will never know. The ewe has since given birth to a healthy lamb and it was on its feet withing 30 minutes.

Gene