[Jacob-list] Question on Choking

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Sun Nov 2 18:29:57 EST 2008

I take blue-tongue results with a grain of salt. (Not to doubt that you have had a problem...)

The sheep with blue tongue were definitely sick. After the first one I scrutinized the flock and picked out the ones that didn't look right. This was over the period of a few weeks. There were only about 6 (out of 70-80 sheep) that showed definite symptoms so those are the ones we tested. They are working on a test to find the virus in the blood instead of antibodies. This would be a test that would give same-day results. At least that's my understanding of it. I would be curious about how many others would test positive--either exposed with no symptoms or mild versions. We have irrigated pasture and the mosquitoes were terrible this year. I assume that the gnat population would be as bad even though I don't see them because the mosquitoes get in the way!
Robin Lynde