[Jacob-list] corn gluten/ration

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 2 13:30:03 EST 2008

--Linda wrote:

>My sheep mix consists of whole corn, whole oats, soybean meal, wheat bran,

and

>livestock molasses. I'd appreciate hearing from others that mix their own

feeds

>and what home made mixes have worked for you.

>Thank you,

>Linda

========
Just watch the calcium/phosphorus ratio when feeding wethers and rams to
avoid urinary calculi. It should be a 2:1 ratio. I've heard that grains
are higher in phosphorus than calcium.. Maybe not feed the sheep mix to
the 'boys' or add a calcium supplement depending on the chemical makeup'.
Perhaps you can find out the mineral content online or consult sheep
nutritionist Bill K at:

bk Sheep Nutrition Services. Bear Lake Enterprises, Inc. bk offers you:
Custom
designed mineral mixes using bkSheep Base ... Expert nutritional advice ...
http://www.bksheep.com/ -

Also ask him about feeding the corn gluten. I buy the bagged commercial
pellet feed that has some whole corn and the C/P ratio is approx. 2:1.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho