[Jacob-list] Lamb having trouble breathing or swallowing?

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 9 10:45:56 EDT 2008

I feel like I am the last person that should give "medical" advice - but I can tell you what I have experienced.

I always feed grain towards the end of the day - if the sheep have been without food for awhile they would tend to gulp it down and I noticed grain or stemy hay would cause them to do a lot of coughing. I was told it was due to scratching as it went down because they did not chew it enough. I don't have that problem if they have been up and browsing during the day.

I had some sheep get into the grain on their own and ended up over-eating. That and when a lamb had pneumonia were the only times I've seen one of the foaming at the mouth. I've never had one actually vomit. They have "coughed up" things from in their throat but actually vomiting from the stomach I haven't had.

Jack and Jaci