[Jacob-list] nosebleed question

Penelope pcj at efn.org
Mon Mar 31 20:20:42 EDT 2008

I don't have a good answer on how much blood is significant. I had a
thought on judging it -- years ago while reading a midwife list one
person posted about judging the volume lost and having experimented
with spilled red liquid in various amounts. I suspect she set up
something red that had a somewhat similar viscosity to
blood. Splashed around it looks like a lot more than in a nice neat
measuring cup. And whether it's in a puddle on the floor or soaked
in to something also makes a difference judging.

I'm also thinking that the person, or sheep's overall constitution
would make a big difference on the wooziness -- I finally stopped
donating blood because it knocked me out for days afterward. And I
haven't been as small as 125lbs since college. Anemia could make a
difference though. Or other health.

I don't know one to get, but I'd say it might be good to have a good
veterinary manual on hand. I have Goat Medicine, which I'll use to
get a rough idea of basic information for sheep.

Your bloody nosed ewe sounded like she was getting better, which was
good. Ours lamb in the field, so I don't run in to the reintegrating
problem. We had two stay in the barn after lambing this year because
we actually had snow at lambing time (having snow at all is rare),
and it was deeper than the lambs bellies. They lambed in the field
and came in later though.

Good luck with yours. I hope you get better answers than mine!

--
"...Shine my life like a light..." (the indigo girls)

"Perhaps the biggest change will come
When we don't have to change much at all.
When maniacs holler "grow, grow, grow"
We can choose to be small." (Pete Seeger)

Penelope Jacob mailto:pcj at efn.org or mailto:penelope at dreamsandbones.net

The circle is open but unbroken.

http://www.dreamsandbones.net/blog