[Jacob-list] nosebleed question

Brenalan Farm info at brenalanfarm.com
Mon Mar 31 14:33:26 EDT 2008

In followup... does anyone know how much blood loss is significant for sheep of various sizes? I have thought, but don't know, that they'd be like people- where someone weighing about 125 lbs can spare a pint without much more than passing wooziness, and that that is about 10 or 12% of total blood volume. I looked up some charts that estimate human blood volume at about 80 cc (1/3 C) per kilogram (2.2 lb) of person. So maybe an 80 pound sheep is approaching problems around 1/2 - 1 C. It would be handy to have a sense of where that line between serious and not serious bleeding lies. I know there is a tendency to overestimate blood loss when alarmed! I always try to visualize quantity in terms of some familiar container instead of just how big an area got red. And was told to be familiar with normal color of eye membranes and gums to make "field" estimates of adequacy of red blood cells. Thanks in advance!

Brenda