[Jacob-list] Vaccinations

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 15:55:56 EDT 2008

>Those that vaccinate lambs/... At what age.. 7 10 or 14 days? Just

>curious.. I use the full 2ml dose.. at 7 days

========
The standard practice (but not the rule) is to vaccinate the ewes a few
weeks to a month before lambing, that way the antibodies are available for
the newborn lambs. The lambs are thus protected for a few weeks to a month
before the protection starts to wear off. That is the time to vaccinate
lambs. They need a booster about another month later.

I was told to "not make 'pincushions' out of lambs" by giving unnecessary
injections. There is a possibility of hitting nerves or blood vessels with
needles on an animal so small. Wait until they are larger so there is more
meat on them. However, vaccinating early is better than not vaccinating at
all.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho