[Jacob-list] Vaccinating older ewes

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 17:09:35 EDT 2008

>I tend to figure that if we've had no issues in ten years we're not likely

to start now. I actually don't know of any sheep farmers locally who

>vaccinate. We're pretty primitive up here.

>Melanie

=======
Good news for those who don't vaccinate. My vet believes that it is not
necessary to vaccinate older ewes, those older than 7 or 8 years, because
older ewes have built up antibodies over the many years. They naturally
pass the protection on to their lambs. Although the lambs still need the
monthly dose and the booster after that. However, some shepherds argue
against not vaccinating older ewes and say that it is better to be safe
than sorry.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho