[Jacob-list] vaccinations

timberacres at peak.org timberacres at peak.org
Fri Mar 21 14:37:03 EDT 2008

There are a ton of folks who believe in Natural Rearing which involves a
species appropriate diet, no vaccines and no chemicals....also weeding out
the bad apples and only keeping the cream of the crop. Kinda like
survival of the fittest. These people have been doing this for ages.

There are several yahoo groups available.

I do very minimal vaccines on my dogs and have seriously considered it
with my sheep. Although I know it is very difficult for people to
understand or change their ways...so I am a bit on the fence still with
the sheep.

I have switched from using chemical wormers to DE and garlic. It is
working great for me.

This was our first real breeding of our Jacobs. I did vaccinate the sheep
prior to putting them together for breeding with Covexin 8. Most of them
had nasty reactions/lumps at the site of injection - I don't really like
that.

This year with the lambs I didn't give them Tetanus at tail docking and so
far so good. I decided to vaccinate the lambs at 4-6 weeks of age who are
going as registered/breeding stock with Covexin 8. The lambs that are
going in the freezer I decided to not vaccinate.

Lisa Stirnemann