[Jacob-list] lame lamb

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 12 15:44:08 EDT 2008

That is a physical condition - not a judgmental comment.

Looking for some opinions - Helen was born 2/5 with selenium deficiency symptoms - a shot of Bo-Se solved that. But because she was a bit weak her mother abandoned her so she became a bottle baby.

The History - At one week we noticed swelling at the pastern on right hind foot. Tried Nuflor for 3 days and that seemed to do the trick. Then a week later another ewe had her on the ground and was bashing her. She started limping again. We gave her Banamine for 3 days to ease some of the pain. That didn't work so back to the vet. He had us do Nuflor every other day for 5 treatments and she is in a small yard by herself to reduce her activity. After that still no change - foot is swollen and she won't put any weight on it. The vet said it wasn't broken, and it has nothing to do with selenium deficiency or navel ill - just soft tissue damage and that can take awhile to improve.

My Questions - Can she cause other damage by not using her leg at all? It seems to have less muscle tone than the other leg (which makes sense to me since she hasn't used it for almost 3 weeks) but she stands with her other leg under her to balance her weight - will that cause damage to her hips? Ideas about splinting or wrapping the foot? Are there other pain relievers out there besides Banamine that are easier on the animal and still work? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Through all of this she has a great appetite, is alert and growing like she should. I appreciate ideas from those that have been around the block with lamb stuff.....