[Jacob-list] Fat Ewe

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 19:45:16 EDT 2008

Got a quick Question. We purchased a larger framed ewe this year. She is
primarily from Primitave looking individuals. Her due date according to the
Ultrasound is Friday.

We sheared last weekend... and realized how incredibly FAT, OBESE and
OVERCONDITIONED this ewe is.

She is carrying a single lamb.

She has Rolls around her tail of blubber, and has a double tail.She is the
only one in my flock like this at all! After shearing, there are a few of
mine that could use a little extra groceries.. NOT THIS ONE!

This is not good for her being close to lambing.. add to the fact she is
having a single, and Im scared!

She is slowly bagging up, and does not appear to be as close as the
ultrasound indicated. All my other ewes that have 1-2 weeks look more "ready" than
Dot.

I don't want to cut her feed back too drastically with her this close to her
lambing date....

Just really curious as far as any complications I should look for (other
than a MONSTER lamb) and how I should proceed feeding this individual.

I'm considering putting her in a jug early, so I can control her feed a bit
more.

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
Bennett, CO