[Jacob-list] Feeding Jacobs

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Jun 24 20:36:43 EDT 2008

I don't buy the idea that we should feed Jacobs the poorest quality hay we can find. They really aren't that much different in nutrient needs than some others. It depends on stage of lactation and growth.

A ewe feeding twins in good growth is doing the same work load as a human running a marathon EVERY DAY.

Lambs have to have good feed in order to maintain good rates of gain.

On the other hand, rams and ewes at maintenance will do just fine on mature forage.

That said, grain rye should have been mowed before the seed head showed in March or the first week in April here in NC. Palatability is a pretty good guide to energy content and nutrition. Goats are not more efficient than cows, they are just more selective browsers.

Neal