[Jacob-list] Feeding Jacobs

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 08:52:06 EDT 2008

Neal -

Thanks for the information on alfalfa. In anticipation of another long, dry
summer here in the South, Greg and I have been looking to stock up on first
cut hay in the field. We found rye for $3.00 per square bale. Fescue is
running $6.50 or so. How does rye grass stack up - nutrition wise?

My vet suggested using the poorest hay we could find, saying it was actually
better for the sheep since they are primitive animals. He says it makes US
feel better when we feed better hay. I take that with a grain of salt, but
thought it was interesting.

Kathey