[Jacob-list] Feeding Jacobs

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 19:55:34 EDT 2008

--Jaci wrote:

>One person I spoke to said that the nutrition of a grass hay 2 - 5 years

old is nearly that of fresh cut (maybe 5% less). Anyone know if this >is
true? I can get some of last year's hay (even their favorite one) for only
$11/bale, but I don't want to throw my money out on feed that >won't do
them any good. Any ideas?

>That's my 2 cents worth. I hope to hear from others on this subject

==========
I have heard that hay is good for two years providing it is stored
correctly. Our hay is stored in a cool, dry barn. This year we are buying
last year's hay at a reduced cost. If alfalfa is stored long term in a
warm, dry location then the vitamins are the first to diminish,
particularly loss of vitamin A. Some of the bagged feed pellets contain
vitamins and makes a good supplement when feeding old hay.

Last year's hay is $9.00 for either grass or alfalfa at the feed store. We
can get last year's grass hay for $5.00 a bale from the farmer. I don't
know what new hay will cost this year, probably very high. On the topic of
animal feed, I just paid $14.00 for a 50 lb bag of chicken layer feed.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho