[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 42, Issue 47

BIDE WEE bidewee at aol.com
Thu Feb 28 13:00:25 EST 2008

In a message dated 02/28/08 09:16:28 Pacific Standard Time, jacob-list-request at jacobsheep.com writes:
Are forward curving horns passed on?

We have a 4 horn 2 year old ewe with top forward curving horns. They're
beautiful, strong horns, they just point in the wrong direction. Mother is a
nice four horn, father was passing thru, but he seemed to have good horns.

We're unsure what to do with her. Freezer?
Hi Kathey,
Forward horns can definitely be passed on to offspring but if your ewe's horns aren't causing her problems (i.e. preventing her from eating) and if everything else about her is nice, you can breed her to a 2 horn ram or a 4 horn ram with horns that sweep well back and that should minimize the risk of passing the forward horns on. That said, I'd not recommend using a ram with forward horns.
Karen Lobb

bide a wee farm
registered Jacob and Navajo-Churro sheep
19562 NE Calkins Lane, Newberg, OR 97132
503-538-7987 ~ karen at bideaweefarm.com
www.bideaweefarm.com