[Jacob-list] registration-favor it

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Thu Feb 21 13:31:56 EST 2008

"I register all the ewes that I am fairly sure will pass - I had one failed (AC) in 2005"

I want to chime in here on the conversation. There continues to be some confusion about a sheep that is designated AC (Appendix Certified) by JSBA. An AC designation is NOT a "failed" sheep. AC is a designation given to a ewe that is out of registered parents but that does not meet the breed standard in some way (too little color, all horns scur-like, etc) Her offspring may be registered after going through the regular inspection process. We do not consider an AC sheep to be "registered" for purposes of showing, but they have not "failed". A ewe would be failed if she had traits that indicated crossbreeding.

The Guidebook states:AC'd ewes are considered purebred but do not, for reasons such as color or marking, meet the breed standard. Ewe progeny (no rams) from registered parents of any generation which do not conform to the breed standard, can be placed into the AC category. All progeny (male or female) from AC'd ewes, bred to registered rams, are eligible for inclusion into the Foundation Flock (FF) after passing inspection. Rams cannot be recorded into the AC category. They can only be passed or failed.

You might be interested to know the number of sheep that are registered, failed, etc with JSBA. I don't have the numbers calculated for 2007 yet, but here is the info for 2006.
FF Rams 12
FF Ewes 43
A rams 27
A ewes 110
B rams 40
B ewes 152
C rams 37
C ewes 122
D rams 31
D ewes 93
E rams 5
E ewes 9
F ewes 4
AC ewes 10
Total sheep: 695
Failed sheep (ewes and rams): 9

You can see that the percentage of AC ewes and failed sheep of any gender is very small.
This makes me think that I should write an article for the newsletter...but the deadline was yesterday and I'm working on another article right now. Hmmm. Back to writing.

Robin Lynde, JSBA Registrar
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com