[Jacob-list] I agree with Sue's daughter

Melanie Boxall melanie.boxall at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 20 11:16:45 EST 2008

In the ten years I've been reading this list I've seen all sorts here. Compared to some of the politics and religion debates I get into elsewhere this is relatively peaceful, but if you are a maverick you are a maverick. I've always been a maverick. I've been flamed for just about everything. I don't register (I do tag and keep records), I don't show, I don't dock tails, I use only herbal medicines, etc etc. I'm about as far from the ideal breeder as you can get. I have my own strong opinions too, so I can cause enough offence. Fact is, I have terrific sheep and that's all that I'm bothered about. But to answer Thomas, yes, location makes a huge difference. Where I am in Grey County, Ontario the only other people I know who have Jacobs either bought them from me or from the gentleman I bought my first ewes from (Vern Ashley). We are so far from any other breeders that even doing ram swaps with each other our flocks are inbred. Do we care? Not really. We're very low-key farmers, we keep these sheep because they're hardy and trouble-free. And we eat them. Having heard so many stories of aggressive rams I don't even want to buy a ram from outside my area, I'll stick to the gentle Grey County bloodlines, even with the "cousin" risk. I'm not wealthy, and I really can't justify the huge costs of transportation from hundreds of miles away and/or across the border, when what I've got are really very good.

So I just read. I rarely post.

Melanie
In medio stat virtus

http://obsville.myminicity.com/ind