[Jacob-list] my suspicion

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 11:25:56 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/12/2008 5:17:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
lambfarm at sover.net writes:

Interesting, Fred. The guy who has one or two a year has only jacobs on his
place. The person he got the ram from many years ago, had many years before
that, a few romneys on her place, but says her jacobs are purebred, and I
tend to believe her. They all came from a flock some nuns had in Maryland many
years ago. She's changed ram lines very seldom, breeding pairs, father to
daughter, father to granddaughter, cousin to great granddaughter, father to
great great granddaughter, and it is in this generation and beyond that these
white ones appear. A friend has one of them which was wethered, a male. I
will check it out, see if there is any black skin, and take photos. I am
tempted to believe that somewhere along the line there was a horned dorset and some
characteristics got buried deep, in both male and female or father and great
granddaughter, and the genetic slot machine came up with the right combo to
produce the white lamb. But hey, I know very little about such things. I
have no idea if any white to white have been bred. I think maybe a neighbor of
his who got a white ewe and white male may have bred them. I'll ask and see
what the result was...