[Jacob-list] Polioencephalomalacia

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 20 17:11:31 EDT 2008

I don't know if anyone else has come across this, but I want to share my recent experience so that maybe it will save someone else from something similar.

I brought a new ram lamb home on Sunday (day 1). On Thursday (day 5) I noticed he was laying around a bit more than normal and his stools had started clumping a bit. Since we were experiencing several days over 100 I assumed the heat that he was not accustomed to and a change in diet and environment were the cause . I watched him closely for the next couple of days. He was off his feed a little bit, not a lot, but just not eating as much as I would have expected. His temperature was normal, no irregularities in breathing or any other symptoms. On Sunday (day 8) his rumen was making some noise, but not a lot - I assumed due to loss of appetite. On Monday (day 9) evening he did not want to eat. About 3 hours later I found him standing stiff with his head bent way back and staring at the sky. It was one of the strangest things I'd ever seen. I spoke to my vet and he diagnosed it over the phone as PEM (polioencephalomalacia). He gave me three injections of B1 to be
given once every 24 hours. Within 4 hours of giving him the first injection he looked almost normal and by the time he got the second one you'd never know there was anything wrong.

My research found that the symptoms can take a week or better to show up if the cause is due to stress or a change in diet. Some foods can cause the rumen to not make or use Thiamin. Other causes can be too much sulfur. Evidently corn, corn by-products, molasses, and some weeds may contain thiaminases (render thiamin unusable by the animal). Alfalfa has a higher rate of sulfur than do grass hays. Sometimes water can have excessive sulfur. Neither sulfur or thiaminases are problems in the normal amounts and if the animal is not unduly stressed. But, sometimes it can take the animal over the top.

If given enough B1 quickly enough it is supposed to be curable and not have long-lasting effects. But if not treated soon enough can be fatal. If B1 is not available you can use B Complex, but pay close attention to the level of B1 that is being administered - it is the only one that counts in this situation.

This is an easy one for the average person to remedy as long as you recognize the signs and act quickly. There are a lot of sites on the Internet that give specifics - worth reading and being familiar with in case you ever need it.

Jack and Jaci