[Jacob-list] Inducing birth.

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Mon Apr 14 19:20:19 EDT 2008

I sure hope your ewe (and her lambs) get through this in good health. She's sounds like a good one and I know you'd love to have more of her line.

I don't know anything about ultrasounds for determining exact pregnancy dates. From what you are saying (and are worrying about), it doesn't really sound all that accurate. Maybe a marking harness next year?

I had a Jacob ewe prolapse a couple years ago. She was huge and we are definitely on the side of a mountain which doesn't help. After replacing the prolapse and fashioning a home made retainer with a hay string harness and confining her to one of the few flat spots around here, I was able to remove (actually it fell out) the retainer the next morning and she lambed three days later. Good news was two healthy lambs and bad news was one huge dead lamb. I guess since you had the ultrasound, you know how many lambs she's carrying?

Your ewe probably knows when it's time to lamb better than the ultrasound. Especially since she's done this before. Maybe give her a chance before you induce labor? You'll lose some sleep, but it might be better for the ewe.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com