[Jacob-list] Urinary Calculi/wethering

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 2 12:53:01 EDT 2008

--Neal wrote:

>The underlying problem is excessive CALCIUM in the diet. This can come as

>result from feeding cheap grain preparations in which lime is used as a

>filler or from feeding too much legumes such as good quality alfalfa

(which

>is naturally high in calcium). Wethers just don't need all that much good

>feed. The total ration for sheep should have a calcium to phosphorus ratio

>of about 2:1. This means that if your primary feed is alfalfa, your

mineral

>supplement will need to be monocalcium-phosphate or

dicalcalcium-phosphate,

>not feed grade lime.

==========
I know people think that the underlying problem must be excessive calcium
because the name of the problem is urinary calculi. However, after
researching this for a few years, I don't see that it is true in most
cases. The underlying problem is mineral imbalance, when the C/P ratio
gets out of whack and there is more P than C, that's why too much grain can
cause this problem, not too much alfalfa. All agree that the ratio of C to
P should be 2:1, as you stated, more calcium than phosphorus in the diet.

I read about one case where the farm had some mineral problems in the water
given to the sheep. There were several cases of urinary calculi. Because
of this water problem, the people had to always add ammonia chloride to the
feed fed to the rams and wethers. It is a good idea to have the water
tested

Wethers don't need all that much good feed like high quality alfalfa mostly
because it will make them FAT.

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho