[Jacob-list] Urinary Calculi/wethering

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Apr 2 05:29:15 EDT 2008

Our vet happened to be at our farm yesterday and I did some double checking
on this. Ammonia chloride does work and is extremely effective because the
NH4 dissipates in the rumen leaving strongly negative chloride ion. However,
since it is very caustic, it probably should only be fed as a commercially
mixed feed (think "Science Diet" for sheep) or as a bolus from your vet.
This is similar to people that have kidney stones who drink lots and lots of
lemonade. Calcium is a positive ion and phosphorus is a negative ion. The
two together form a "salt".

The underlying problem is excessive CALCIUM in the diet. This can come as a
result from feeding cheap grain preparations in which lime is used as a
filler or from feeding too much legumes such as good quality alfalfa (which
is naturally high in calcium). Wethers just don't need all that much good
feed. The total ration for sheep should have a calcium to phosphorus ratio
of about 2:1. This means that if your primary feed is alfalfa, your mineral
supplement will need to be monocalcium-phosphate or dicalcalcium-phosphate,
not feed grade lime.

Neal Grose