[Jacob-list] Problems with Castrating

Beryl Schwartz beryl5145 at wirelessbeehive.com
Sat Sep 8 23:39:54 EDT 2007

All,

This is my first year raising sheep, and I "castrated" two ram lambs by the
elastrator method. Well, today I saw the two of them acting rammy, and
interested in the girls. I caught them and checked and saw that I removed
the scrotums of both and one testicle of one of them. I'm selling the one
ram (the one with two testicles) tomorrow anyway, since his horns point
straight down.

The question I have is about the other one with the one testicle). He has
nice wool, but I don't want him breeding my ewes. Any advice?

Also, how can I avoid this next year? Would another method help?

Thanks,

Beryl Schwartz

Stockton, Utah