[Jacob-list] Problems with Castrating

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Sep 9 17:14:49 EDT 2007

I was just working on a blog entry about the subject. I am perhaps the worst castrator in sheep history. Once again, I have missed a crucial part of the castration process! And that pretty "wether" is just another freezer ram. He was butting heads yesterday and I thought I'd better check - and yep, he's a scrotumless ram. I'm going to have to start calling my wethers, whethers - as in whether or not I finally managed to get both testicles.

Since the testicle is in the body cavity, the heat should render your "rig" sterile. But, he will breed and he will fight your real ram over the ewes. And, like my first attempt, a bottle raised half castrated ram will not make a good pet. It was quite embarrassing when my "wether" charged a perspective buyer. I've read that the process of removing just the scrotum makes the sheep grow better for market. I just pretend that's why I leave one testicle.

My favorite method is to have the vet do it. At least she gets the job done. It might be a somewhat more complicated operation to wether your boy now.

If anyone has advice on how to castrate properly, I'd sure be interested. I very seldom wether anything, but when I do, it would be nice if it were a success.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com