[Jacob-list] grain, etc.

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Oct 26 17:15:21 EDT 2007

Gosh, I'm glad nobody told my sheep they could get metabolic disorders from barley!

I have fed barley without any problem. It can be fed without grinding and is higher in protein than corn, which makes it easier to balance out with good quality hay. Corn will require a moderate amount of protein supplement (soybean or cottonseed meal) to make a balanced ration unless you are feeding alfalfa hay.

Here in North Carolina, barley is considerably cheaper than corn and wheat...we don't usually produce beer types of barley. This should make it a good supplement for those of us here in the desert Southeast who are scrounging for hay.

Neal Grose

PS: First recordable precipitation in 2 months this week!!!!! We were 15 - 20 inches below normal for the year. It has rained 4.5 inches so far. It's too late for this year's crops, but I was becoming SERIOUSLY concerned about next! The price of small grain seed for this fall's planting is running two to three times what it cost last year, and a lot of it has sprouted and then died for lack of moisture.