[Jacob-list] Voluntary program

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Oct 12 19:20:49 EDT 2007

It's hard to find the complete regulations online or anyplace else. The factsheet that comes with your application is rather lacking in just what is accepted. I found this and have uploaded it on my site (mostly so I can find it again when I want it!) http://www.patchworkfibers.com/scrapie.pdf

You can also find it by going to: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_diseases/scrapie/free-certi.shtml and clicking on the Certification Standards link.

When I first was going to apply for the program, the state vet came out to visit. I asked him about loaning rams and he told me he didn't want to see that - even though the standards say we can bring in rams from unenrolled flocks. He said he'd rather I brought ewes in to be bred, but kept the ewes in a location where they wouldn't commingle with my flock or be on any land where my ewes would ever be - I guess that would be on the front porch? He also said that the program wasn't designed for "small" breeders (less than 100 ewes), that I should get my ewe flock in order before applying, and that breeders that kept bringing in ewes from unenrolled flocks (thus setting their enrollment dates back) were making a mockery of the program. As you might imagine, I decided to forego enrollment. I also had (and still do have) questions about the tracking system for our breed since we are not running large bunches of sheep through the meat sales. Do we know where all our sheep have ended up? We all sell some pet stock and they go with their scrapie id tags (voluntary or mandatory). The sheep dies, the owner buries it. I have no idea where SOME of the sheep I sold 7 years ago are now - do you?

I am more comfortable being involved in the program now due to more emphasis on DNA testing. Karen's post about the limitations of DNA testing made me think abit more ( and educated me abit more *smile*).

Linda
off to pierce sheep ears

www.patchworkfibers.com