[Jacob-list] Polyarthritis

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 01:04:19 EDT 2007

I have a 2+ month old ewe lamb that seems to have this. I found her in a heap yesterday in the back paddock behind a building and my first reaction was somebody knoked her into the side of the building - but there were only 2 other adult ewes besides her dam in the pen (ad 2 female lamas).

I carried her back to the barn and gave her a private room that she broke out of and so had her provisions eaten by the resident pair awaiting their new home (pickup). On reading about this disease, I gave her 1.5 cc Pen-aq this AM and she was briefly a bit more alert - plus I have been using nutri-drench liberaly. She is not keen on eating corn-based ration from my hand and only nibbles at the hay.

I had a ram last summer that I got thru some such similar crisis -at the time I thought he had been knocked about by Jeanette - seft appointed queen. Now I am wondering if he had the same thing - he is a half brother to this ewe via the sire. This particular sire also was a partner in producing 2 stillborn ewes one in 2006 and one this year (as well as a number of normal sheep)- so I am thinking maybe he has a genetic defect and I should stop using him. Any thoughts - also on success with polyarthritis - or maybe polio? If I get her thru this, I probably should NOT use her as a breeder - correct?