[Jacob-list] Herbicides and grazing

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon May 7 05:19:15 EDT 2007

I don't know what is in the fertilizers that are available for lawn use (actually, I am happy to have ANYthing green in my lawn). Anything that suppresses both broadleaved weeds and crabgrass is going to be a longlasting and potent herbicide. There are selective herbicides that are approved for use on pastures. I would avoid using 2-4D, the hold out is 4 - 6 weeks. Ally from DuPont will take out all broadleaved plants, and the recommendation is not to run over any sheep with the tractor while yo are spraying.

Can you check with your Cooperative Extension Service to see recommendations for your area and for local applicators?

An alternative might be to subdivide the pastures and use close grazing to remove the weeds and then reseed, allowing ample time for the grasses to establish before grazing again. Honestly, if you have a good stand of crabgrass, your good to go for summer grazing.

Neal