[Jacob-list] Butchering Questions

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Thu Mar 29 12:04:54 EDT 2007

OK.. Lots more questions!

One of the questionable ewes that was purchased for me lambed on Tuesday...
2 dead lambs.. She didn't attempt to care for them at all, and I was not
home. She is a ewe we have no desire to own, and she is the least "Jacob"
looking one of the bunch.

She is just cutting her yearling teeth (probably why she didn't know what to
do with the lambs).. So I guess that means she was only 7 months old when
bred....Sigh........

We are considering butchering her.

First off.. How long after her losing the lambs should we wait? She is in
very fleshy condition now. But will the stress of lambing cause any changes in
the meat?

Because she is not a young (under 8 month) lamb like we are used to
eating... we are considering having the chops kept, and everything else ground.. Is
this a good idea?

Finally... On the pelt.. Is there a preferred tanning method? Ive been out
of sheep for a few yrs now, and didn't know if things have changed. She has
about 1 inch of wool on her.