[Jacob-list] noisy sheep/overcaring

Victoria da Roza castlerockjacobs at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 11:23:50 EDT 2007

The quiet part of sheep might be for other breeds but
not for Jacobs. Some Jacobs are noiser than others
but mine have always had a lot to say ;-). My sheep
are on a lower level than the house and I cannot open
a sliding door in the house or talk to someone on the
deck without all my sheep starting a chorus and they
even make noise with their mouths full!
AWhile ago they noticed that when the horse gets
hitched, she gets a handful of Nickermakers and the
sheep decided to scream till they got their
share...they are smart little things.
I have had years of mostly ram lambs too so it is a
roll of the dice. I always hold my breath till I turn
them over, hoping for ewes ;-).
Beware of buying at auction as many breeders take
the ones they won't breed for their own name to
auction. I feel it is better to pay more for animals
you have followed for years in someone elses's flock
and whose lambs you like...to get a lamb from them
than to have a larger flock sooner but not of the
quality you want your name on.
I do not think you can take too good a care of the
sheep unless they are over conditioned. To get good
lambs though you need to flush with great food a month
before putting in with the ram and then about 2 months
before they lamb. I do both with grain and alphalfa
hay and then they have the protein for the good bone
and horns. This coming year you will be in control of
all these factors and the sheep will not be under such
stress of moving and I'll bet you are happier with
your lamb crop. Just consider this year as a practice
year....next year your lambs will be a reflection of
your shepherding.Victoria

Victoria
Castle Rock Farm
Jacob Sheep & Nigerian Dwarf Goats