[Jacob-list] Having Touble with Older Ewe

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon Mar 19 17:34:14 EDT 2007

As a fellow vet tech who has been in similar situations, I should tell you
that Banamine is tough on the stomach, especially at a 1ml level you had
listed.

This is my PERSONAL experience in a very similar situation and certainly
does not mean I am providing you medical advice on this animal via my vet. I
am merely referencing my own experience in a very difficult birth situation
with a ewe (my case was a really big ram lying sideways across the pelvic
opening) that required intervention to save the lamb and the ewe. My ewe was
exhibiting symptoms very similar to your ewe's symptoms. I administered Banamine
at 0.3ml the following day (24 hrs. later) when she began to reflect a
fever, lethargy, lack of appetite/water, etc. If you are giving these doses daily,
I would re-consider ASAP or at the very least discuss again with your own
vet. My vet does not advise me giving Banamine to sheep more than once in a 72
hour period simply due to the stomach upset it is prone to cause. Based
upon your follow up post, the sheep may have other problems contributing to her
current state and I would certainly not recommend you going against medical
advice form your vet. Every vet has a different opinion of treatment, not
that one is either wrong or right but what works for one sheep may n ot work for
another ESPECIALLY Jacobs with their smaller size. Many vets (and
shepherds) tend to over medicate.

I had a similar experience with a pig who had difficulty farrowing. My vet
does not "do pigs" so I had to consult another, who advised twice daily doses
of Banamine. For 3 days, the pig would hardly eat unless I forced fed her.
My own vet asked how she was doing at that time and I told him of my
experience. His immediate reaction was the use of the Banamine possibly causing her
stomach upset. I ceased the dosing by not giving her that evening's
medication, continuing on the antibiotics (which themselves tend to cause stomach
upset) and the sow was much improved by morning. 48 hours after NOT giving the
Banamine, she had returned to a regular eating pattern.

I hope your ewe improves soon -- GOOD LUCK!! Cheryl

Mike & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)

Buckhannon, West Virginia