[Jacob-list] "pinking" Re: Lambing -HELP

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 12:34:44 EDT 2007

Yup, this is what an experienced shepherd friend
called the "Neon Pink Scale for Lambing". When I was a
newbie shepherd, I asked how I'd know when the lambs
would be born, I had not used a marking harness. She
replied, "The brighter and pinker the vulva and udder,
the closer to lambing you are!" It works! I use this
to gauge when my ewes will lamb. Hope your ewe is
doing well - I didn't check mail yesterday, very busy
"mommie carpool" day.

We had our second Jacob born this morning - another
ewe lamb. YEAH! Two Jacobs born, two ewes! One more
Jacob to lamb.

Our two dark border mothers had border/Jacob crosses,
one ewe, three rams. My eldest favorite border ewe
gave me triplets! (2 rams, 1 ewe).

I love seeing them all pronking about. Need to get
photos and update website.

Joy T in NC
www.shepherdofspots.com

--- neeets at netscape.net wrote:

> My last Lamb to lamb is rubbing her rear up against

> plywood boards vigorously she then will lay down

> and just kinda plop like she is going to sleep.....

> she is so red in her vulva area I mean VERY BRIGHT

> PINK her udder and such are even hot pink......

> They all ran with the ram at the same time one lamb

> is 2 weeks one is 3 days and then........ maybe this

> one. Is this normal?

> Thanks for any help.

> Anita (aka Neeets)

> Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of

> storage and industry-leading spam and email virus

> protection.

Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC

Home of The Fiber Flock