[Jacob-list] Need some Newbie Help Here... Shearing....

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 11:43:05 EST 2007

Well.. i just finished shearing my first Jacob. Sadly,... Im not at all
proud of my....Um... "Work" and that is suing the term loosly!

I have sheared LOTS of meat breeds in the past, and did my own shearing for
my flock of Cheviots years ago... Where I sold some awfully nice fleeces.

I went and got the new Shearmasters from Oster. O Wanted to use a 9 tooth
comb, but THOUGHT I was going the safer route with a 13 tooth comb.... I was
careful not to shear "with" the skin wrinkles... and tried my best to stretch
the skin (Which is a bit more difficult with the added weapons of horns.. and
4 of them)

I managed to only cut her 3-4 times...

Granted, I chose an older ewe to start with.. She was the most awful looking
as she had broke wool lambing last month.

So has anyone any advice? Im doing the next one... tame or not... on the
fitting table......

http://www.aol.com.