[Jacob-list] Need some Newbie Help Here... Shearing....

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 10:49:47 EST 2007

I have shears but I hire a professional as I am oly 132# myself and do not have enough arms (picture octupus here) to do the job right. Tom is tall and experienced and can sit them on their buts so easily. I standby to steer sheep in to him and pickup and bag wool. I usually invite a friend or 2 to watch and help steer, etc.

Gotothewhip at aol.com wrote: Well.. i just finished shearing my first Jacob. Sadly,... Im not at all proud of my....Um... "Work" and that is suing the term loosly!

I have sheared LOTS of meat breeds in the past, and did my own shearing for my flock of Cheviots years ago... Where I sold some awfully nice fleeces.

I went and got the new Shearmasters from Oster. O Wanted to use a 9 tooth comb, but THOUGHT I was going the safer route with a 13 tooth comb.... I was careful not to shear "with" the skin wrinkles... and tried my best to stretch the skin (Which is a bit more difficult with the added weapons of horns.. and 4 of them)

I managed to only cut her 3-4 times...

Granted, I chose an older ewe to start with.. She was the most awful looking as she had broke wool lambing last month.

So has anyone any advice? Im doing the next one... tame or not... on the fitting table......