[Jacob-list] Black lambs

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 6 22:33:05 EST 2007

>The lamb on the left that is almost all black is typical of what a

crossbred

>Jacob lamb looks like. The other lamb is not a lilac it just is not the

typical

>cross color. This does not mean the lambs will not serve a purpose, just

>that they are not registrable Jacobs.

============
True about the black lambs serving a purpose. I have one heavily spotted
ewe with 4 large horns, one lateral is about 5 inches long and the other
would've been but it was broken off so its a bit shorter. Every once in
awhile she produces a black lamb, two in the last 6 years, both ewe lambs.
The mother ewe looks purebred, but is not registered. The wool on these
black lambs is just gorgeous and perfect for handspinning and then
knitting. The outer tips of the fibers turn a bright copper color from the
bleaching of the summer sun, underneath is a dark brown/black color. I
added to this fleece with similar fibers from some of the other spotted
sheep, separating the black from the white. I am looking forward to the
yarn made from these fibers. Without the fleece from the black ewe I would
not get very much yarn of that color. I sure have a lot of white fibers
and way too much gray!

Cathy
Moscow, Idaho