[Jacob-list] New to the group and need help

Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 14:26:45 EDT 2007

Welcome to the world of Jacob sheep! Warning! They are
addictive! <grin>

Yes, their wool is sought after by handspinners, but
I've had some with lovely, soft wool and some with
wool like brillo pads. Sort of one extreme to another.
You'll have to see what your sheeps' wool is like.

You DO need to shear them. You cannot just pull out
their wool.

I bought a metal grooming stand and have trained my
sheep to stand on it to be sheared. (They love ginger
snaps -- the cookies <giggle>) I use regular
dressmaking shears due to a hand injury with my horse
years ago. I use a smaller pair of shears near ears,
face and private areas under the sheep.

This is a great group for learning! Again, Welcome!

Joy T
Son Rise Farm Creedmoor NC
Home of The Fiber Flock
www.shepherdofspots.com