[Jacob-list] New to the group and need help

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 12:54:37 EDT 2007

WE always shear our Jacobs - but I did buy two from someone that failed to shear that year and found they will shed the wool - but I do not let them do that. There is also a condition of fiber-breakage that shearers may notice before you do caused by a 'fever' I have one sheep that cannot seem to grow much wool - it breaks off.

Know where to go from here: find a local shepherd that has another breed of fiber sheep as a coach. The first person you find may not be the best - so, continue to look for a mentor until you find someone you are comfortable working with. Here in OH we have a group of Jacob breeders and we try to meet quarterly - some of us chat on the phone often - some not. WE are meeting the 16th at the Utica (OH) Velvet Ice Cream Plant's pavilion at 2PM and will repair to Kelly's nearby after a treat. WE also invite fiber enthuiasts to our meetings.

Anna Berry <annabeatrixberry at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi there. My cousin has just purchased 3 Jacob sheep. We have been told that the wool is very sort after by hand knitters. Weve also heard that there is no need to sheer the wool and that it can be 'pulled' out!!! Is this correct and if so how is it done. We would appreciate any help with this as we've no idea where to go from here. With thanks

Anna