[Jacob-list] Bloated ewe

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 10 19:14:52 EDT 2007

--Tom wrote--

>Bloat: a week before lambing i put my ewes into a new pasture that has not

>had animal on it for decades, as there usual pasture was getting pretty

sad

>with 10 animals on it. i noticed tonight that Sharon is all ballooned up,

>her gut is not hard or even firm just fluffy. I can't tell if she is

simply

>stuffing herself with grass or if she has bloat. she is not showing signs

>of discomfort or difficulty breathing or anything. the pasture is wild

>grasses with some wild raspberries and apple trees, she only seems to

touch

>the grass; the grass went to seed in the last few days.

=========
I had one ewe do this twice this spring, after lambing though. She must be
sensitive to changes in the diet. I first used an oral dose of Milk of
Magnesia, about two tablespoons. This helps coat the rumen. It also has
the ingredient in my Carmelax (ruminant antacid/laxative), magnesium
hydroxide. After a half hour or so I then treat her orally with a cup of
mineral oil, water, and baking soda, all mixed together. The mineral oil
will protect the rumen from harmful chemical reactions with rumen acids and
the baking soda. Be sure to use mineral oil. The water makes it easier
for the ewe to swallow the mixture from a large syringe.. More information
is available online. After treatment, feed her some grass hay for a day.
My ewe was fine the next day and didn't require any further treatment..
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho