[Jacob-list] 2 questions

Tom and Judy Riddolls grey_wethers_farm at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 9 22:52:17 EDT 2007

so i have got past lambing ok, i only have 3 lambs but the ewes are healthy
and my vet says to hold on to the ones that aborted until next near at
least.

ok questions:

Bloat: a week before lambing i put my ewes into a new pasture that has not
had animal on it for decades, as there usual pasture was getting pretty sad
with 10 animals on it. i noticed tonight that Sharon is all ballooned up,
her gut is not hard or even firm just fluffy. I can't tell if she is simply
stuffing herself with grass or if she has bloat. she is not showing signs
of discomfort or difficulty breathing or anything. the pasture is wild
grasses with some wild raspberries and apple trees, she only seems to touch
the grass; the grass went to seed in the last few days.

handling ewes lambs: we plan to keep one or two of our lambs for the flock,
last year we were going to put a ewe lamb in the freever but then her mother
died and we kept the lamb out of memory of the mother, but we never touched
the lambs so as not to get all teary eyed when taking them to the butcher.
SO, how much handling is enough to produce a tame ewe? I grab the lambs and
scratch their heands and rub their backs and try to make them at ease twice
a day when i grain the mothers, should i do more, or less?

thanks
tom