[Jacob-list] Enough Milk?

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 09:47:17 EDT 2007

I'm fretting about these lambs.. They seem to nurse well.. but when I check
mommas bag.. it seems like she only has a squirt or 2 in each teat.. The lambs
are flagging their tails (Which I always understood means they are getting
milk) and their bellies are more full than when they are born.. but I'm
worried about this old gal as she is by no means fat....I just don't know if she
can produce enough. The lambs are pooping the sticky yellow poop now..
although the little ewe lamb's feces may be a bit too firm. I offered a bottle of
warmed clostrum that i had saved.. and neither lamb seemed real interested..
one took a quick suck and that was it.. but when I put her down .. she went
and banged on mommas bag.. and sucked at her for a good 2 minutes.

I know I'm hovering.... I just don't normally have this much time to fret
about lambs.. and this pair have my undivided attention. Any other clues that
these kids are not getting enough milk? They don't have the big poofy
belly... but are less hollow than when hey were born.

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn.