[Jacob-list] Enough Milk?

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 23:23:04 EDT 2007

LOL.. Nope.. No kids and no breast feeding experience!

They are definitely not eating enough.. They really were doing well
yesterday.. but today they seem really sunk in. The little one, the ewe lamb, is
definitely falling farther behind. I supplemented her with 2 oz tonight.. I
will go out in about 6 hrs and offer another bottle to them both.. maybe we can
get mom over the hump and she will kick up the milk production.. Otherwise..
I think I'll try every 6 hrs (4x a day) bottles while leaving them with mom.

They are dipping their noses in her water.. something I've not seen newborns
do?????.. they also are trying to nibble on hay. mom isn't eating well at
all.. she only ate 2 cups of grain TOTAL in the last 24 hrs.. I offered her 2
cups after she lambed.. and she gobbled that down....but has shown no real
interest since.. Also not eating hay too well... I gave her some Yogurt to see
if she needed some "bugs in her belly" I'm doing the Pen-G as I had to go in
and pull the lambs.. and am giving it as a preventative measure.. I had a set
of twins I had to pull in march and ended up losing that ewe... so I'm a bit
worried (the ewe that died was actually a twin sister to this ewe) Her
lambing was more traumatic as she had 2 very large ram lambs. She is drinking
pretty well.. She drank about 2 gallons today.

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn.
Bennett, Co