[Jacob-list] Whoops Babies born!

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 20:50:01 EDT 2007

I don't know if anyone remembers the post I made about a month ago, worrying
that one of my older ewes was bred accidentally..

I bought the flock Feb 17, 2007 from OK. All of the yearling or older ewes
were supposed to be bred... But the owner told me, that some of the ewes were
older.. and may be open.

We hauled them home in a large trailer (20 head + Llama) We purchase 3
rams, but only had 3 compartments..and some of the rams did not get along well
with others...

We put the 2 rams that liked one another together with the ewes that they
had bred.. and the non-social ram in with the ewes he had bred.

Shortly after getting them home.. we started lambing. The non-social ram
needed a friend.. so we put one of the ewes that looked less close to lambing
in with him. (We put this ewe in with the ram on 3-14-07) We quickly figured
out that she was not at all bred. But I wasn't too concerned as the
consensus said that Jacob ewes did not breed out of season. I also guessed that this
older ewe.. who was very thin when we got her.. was likely not cycling
anymore due to age and body condition. We pulled her out of the ram stall on
3-28-07 when we shipped the ram to my parents house to hang out until we needed
him.

Last month this same older ewe begins bagging.. Also wanted to note that
this old gal had a pretty rough spring, and had significant dental work done as
she had 2 abscessed teeth removed. She was REALLY packing weight on and then
started bagging.. and we thought Uh-OH!

Well... Today she lambed. a healthy set of twins.. I had to assist as we
had some legs tangled.. but it was a minor assist and uneventful.... Im PROUD
to announce.. we no longer can say we had a 100% ram lamb crop as WE HAVE A EWE
LAMB!!!!!!!!!!! She has PERFECT markings and appears to be a lilac as she
is shady around her eyes.

Now ... going by the dates... I calculate that she is at 149 days since we
bought the flock in OK and hauled them here on Feb 17-18,2007... SO that means
SHE WAS BRED IN THE TRAILER here! as otherwise...if we calculate when I
put her in with the ram to be a buddy.. She would have delivered at 122 or less
days. Knowing that sheep Gestation is 144-151 days.. I'm assuming that she
was bred during her trailer ride! What a small and stressful window!

Both lams are doing well as is Momma. We are giving Momma a precautionary
dose of Penicillin for 5 days.

I'm a bit concerned as the 1st lamb had a orange/DARK yellowy sack... Can
someone remind me what is the cause of this? I know it means the ewe was
stressed.. Correct???? But isn't there a cause? Milk fever or Ketosis???

We are definitely learning our way thru things this year!

Jennifer Tucker
Moose Mtn Ranch
Bennett, CO