[Jacob-list] A Pretty amazing sheep story

Gotothewhip at aol.com Gotothewhip at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 17:17:44 EDT 2007

Im pretty embarrassed to tell this story.. as I thought I checked out who
had bought my sheep from me.. But I didnt.. I was pretty embarrased that he was
one of ine.. But so glad to have him home & safe

Im still in shock....

This Tuesdays local paper had a STRANGE ad in it. It said Ram found in
Watkins (About 12 miles west of me) need to find owner.. I thought it was
curious.. But I'm not missing any sheep.. so thought nothing of it.

I was working at the local vet clinic today.. Got a call from the guy who
found the ram.. He had questions on care of a sheep as nobody had called to
claim the ram. He asked me if I "knew about sheep breeds".. I said "I do" He
said he had what thought was a Jacob ram... Curious.. There are not a huge #
of Jacobs in Colorado...... but i had not sold any in the Watkins area.

We visit a bit, and he asked me if I would consider taking the sheep.. I
said "Sure" I asked him if the sheep had 2 or 4 horns... He said 4. And I
asked him if it was gray and white or black and white.. He said Gray.. I really
got a weird feeling at that point.. as there are VERY FEW Lilac Jacobs in the
state.... BUT .. AGAIN.. I was NOT missing any Rams! He said the ram had
funny forward pointing horns... an odd trait .. I explained that that was
Undesirable in the Jacobs.

I got to thinking.. I DID sell a Wether (Castrated male) Lilac with 4 weird
horns in MARCH but that was to a person well over 40 miles away in the
OPPOSITE direction.....But I have spoken to his owner since.. and he hadn't said a
thing.. Not to mention.. he still hadn't paid for that wether!

Well.. I grabbed my registration papers and photos .. I figured I would show
the guy what MY sheep look like...

I get there.. and meet him out in front.. We talk a bit.. he tells me that
this sheep has been running the neighborhood (several homes on small acreage's
) for 3 weeks or so.. He saw him and penned him up.

I opened my book.. and a picture of "Spaz".. the Lilac wether I sold and he
points.. asks if they ALL look the same.. I said"No... he is an odd ball" He
says" I have that sheep in my backyard...."?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

We walk back there.. and there is Spaz....a bit worse for wear but
DEFINITLEY the sheep I sold (and never got paid for) a few months prior.

Spaz left the flock this guy had on several THOUSAND acres of land.. and
traveled.. He crossed I-70 at some point... went past 3 towns....somehow did
not get eaten by a Coyote....

Needless to say.. Spaz now has a FOREVER home.

I just feel like I'm living a Disney movie...I wish he could talk. and tell
me how he got where he was and his adventures along the way.....How on earth
did he find water.. not get eaten or run over or so many likely outcomes...

How on earth did it work out that the ONE day per week I work at the clinic
, he happens to call, and speak WITH ME?????

We got Spaz home, and sheared him off... found a few old wound and lots of
barbed wire marks on his back. We think he followed one of the dry creek beds
to this neighborhood.. His fleece was obviously not something to keep... But
was AMAZING after the top few inches.. still white as snow and soft!

He had OBVIOUSLY been eating a lot of Wheat.. as he had PLENTY saved in his
chest area.

What made this guy leave the other sheep on this guys farm?

I so wish he had a camera taped to his horns...Or a GPS unit on him!

I cantstop staring at him.. wishing he would tell me his story!

He seems to be glad to be home with his buddies.. Everyone got sniffed over.
He is a FAR more alert sheep than anyone else. and hears EVERYTHING!

He is surprisingly good flesh for living in the wild. When we sheared him
off yesterday... He OBVIOUSLY had a bad case of the scours... It was mostly
dried up, and is feces are normal now.. but the poor guy was plastered in liquid
poop down to the skin! He is all slicked off.. we gave him a bath as he
had some older wounds.. and got his behind back to being white...

Well.. I sure wish he could tell me how he happened to travel all that
way....But I guess I will just have to accept he is a TOUGH JACOB!