[Jacob-list] Marking harness question

JACI SIEHL wedohoney at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 24 13:36:20 EST 2007

I got a harness from Premier - I told them I had Jacob and they knew the difficulties of a small chested ram and suggested a cross-the-heart type of harness. It worked great. No discomfort to the ram, very adjustable, and it stayed in place. My only suggestion is to not wait too long to order. They offer 5 or 6 colors of crayons, but when I ordered they only had red, yellow and orange left to choose from. You will want at least two different colors so you can change out every 16 days and have a better idea of lambing dates.

"Joy Thomas, SonRise Farm" <shepherdofspots at yahoo.com> wrote:
Dan - I noted in your last message you used a marking
harness. What brand did you use? and where did you get
it? I've seen many advertised, but would appreciate
feedback from a shepherd who has actually used one
successfully with Jacobs. My fear was harness would
become loose, entangle in horns (of ewe and/or ram)
and cause a problem.

I plan to use one next breeding season. Waiting and
not knowing when the ewes will lamb this year is
difficult with kids' activities. Next year, I want to
KNOW (as much as one can) when ewes are due, so I can
be about in case problems develop (more with my
border/Jacob crosses than my Jacob girls)

So far, we have one set of triplets, two weeks old
today. They are from a Jacob 4H ram and a black border
ewe. Gorgeous, long-legged beauties. Will be updating
website photos when next lambs are born.

happy lambing all!
Joy

Joyce M. Thomas
Son Rise Farm & Rabbitry, Creedmoor NC