[Jacob-list] Lamb size

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Fri Feb 23 13:08:42 EST 2007

Dan,

We have recently begun lambing but our past experience of 8 lambing seasons
dictates the avg. gestation for ewes is 148 days. I know this varies from
145-150 but for OUR farm, it seems to be 148 days exactly. Size can depend on
various factors, like you mentioned. Most often nutrition is the underlying
key, followed closely by conditions (weather) and genetics. I have many
Jacob ewes who routinely lamb 8-11 pounders with little effort while others
follow the 5-6 lb. average -- regardless of factors. Of course, multiple births
influence lamb size with singles often being larger than twins but not always.
Don't you just love the "normal"? LOL Thus far, 8-9 lbs. is our average
lamb weight this year, with 25 more ewe to deliver. Like I said, we are just
getting underway.

If your ewes do not lamb on their first expected date and you know they are
bred, add 16 days for a recalculation. It is possible they were not settled
on their first exposure and came into estrus again on the 2nd cycle. This
has worked for us when we have records indicating the initial breeding date
that fail to transpire by the calendar.

Good luck!
Cheryl

Mike & Cheryl Terrano